Treating Our Clients With the Utmost Respect & Dedication
Denton Alimony/Spousal Maintenance Attorneys
Am I Eligible for Alimony in Texas?
In Texas, spousal maintenance – also known as alimony – is complex in nature and limited in duration and amount. Generally, spousal maintenance in Texas is given only after a spouse meets certain criteria.
Court-ordered spousal maintenance is an option if the spouse seeking maintenance lacks sufficient income or assets to support themselves after the divorce, other terms of eligibility include the following:
- The spouse seeking maintenance was married to the other spouse for at least 10 years and is not able to earn enough to provide for their minimum reasonable needs.
- The spouse seeking maintenance cannot earn enough income due to a mental or physical disability.
- The spouse seeking maintenance is the custodian of a child with a physical or mental disability who requires substantial care and the spouse does not earn enough to provide for their minimum reasonable needs.
- The spouse seeking maintenance was a victim of family violence within two years of the divorce in which the abusive spouse received deferred adjudication or was convicted.
Discuss your case with an experienced Denton alimony attorney by contacting us at (940) 202-8323.
How Is Alimony Awarded?
The court not only determines whether a spouse receives maintenance, it also determines the amount, duration, and manner of these payments.
The following factors are considered when the court is determining maintenance:
- The spouse’s financial resources after divorce and their ability to provide for their own reasonable minimum needs
- The education and employability of the spouse
- The length of the marriage
- The age, employment history, earning ability, and physical or emotional condition of the spouse
- The effect on the paying spouse’s ability to provide for their own minimum reasonable needs while paying alimony and/or child support if applicable
- Any acts by either spouse that would result in excessive expenditures or destruction or concealment of common property
- One spouse’s contributions to the other’s education, professional training, or increased earning power
- The property brought into the marriage by either spouse
- Either spouse’s contribution as a homemaker
- Any marital misconduct or cruel treatment by either spouse during the marriage
- Any pattern or history of family violence
Law Office of David S. Bouschor, II P.C. Spousal Support Legal Counsel
With the Law Office of David S. Bouschor, II, P.C. on your side, you can be sure that all aspects of your case will be thoroughly evaluated. If we believe you may be eligible to receive alimony, our attorneys can help you gather evidence to illustrate your need for support. We have helped numerous clients navigate this aspect of divorce and are confident that we will be an invaluable resource to you during this time.
Our firm serves clients in Collin County and throughout the Dallas Fort-Worth Metroplex. We are passionate about providing our clients with the resources and representation they need to navigate the legal matters they face. We think outside of the box and creatively apply the law to each case. With years of experience, we are efficient yet thorough in our case management and will be there for you every step of the way.
Call (940) 202-8323 to schedule a consultation at our office today.
I definitely recommend this team of professionals
“I'm eternally grateful to the Law Office of David S Bouschor. Everyone on staff is professional, caring & courteous. I'm blown away at how well they handled my divorce during this unprecedented pandemic (considering how quickly everything was/is changing). Their office manager (Melissa) was wonderful whenever my fears got the best of me. I could always count on her responding quickly to any and all questions/ concerns I ever had. I definitely recommend this team of professionals to anyone in need of legal expertise.”
No bumps in the road, smooth and efficient.
“The probate process was totally complete in 4 months, over holiday season and during COVID no less.”
Made it as smooth as possible for me.
“I used them for my divorce and they did a great job. Made it as smooth as possible for me and gave me the guidance needed to make the right decisions.”
Great Family Law Attorney
“David Bouschor has provided superior guidance during a very stressful time. He explained my options and guided me down the proper path for my situation/circumstances.”
Her attention to detail and listening skills are by far the best.
“Her attention to detail and listening skills are by far the best.”